Thursday 12 May 2016

Carrot Cake Smoothie!

All the taste of cake (in a cup)



Hi sorry it’s been a while since I last posted, I ermmm am getting back into the swing of work life still. Can I use that excuse again? Yeah, why not.
Today, I am sneaking in a little recipe before I post the second half of the recap about my trip to Greece. Holding off on a ‘part 2’ post? I’m such a naughty blogger or maybe I’m just an unproductive blogger - either way I haven’t finished writing the second Greece post yet hence today’s recipe. Don’t worry though it’s a good ‘un I promise.  

I also think today’s treat is reasonably relevant for those of you living in the south of England at the moment as you may have noticed that (dare I say it and curse us all) the weather has taken a slight turn for the better recently…

Kind of …

Maybe not…

Actually we don’t really know but it’s not as cold as it was about a month ago and that we’re certain of. I’m going to try and take a little credit for this as I believe that Ellen and I may have pulled a greater heist than the Italian Job and managed to steal part of Greece’s sun. What? They have it all the time; they won’t miss it for a few weeks. You know, sharing is caring and all that.

Anyway, with slightly warmer weather comes the appropriate time to start making smoothies (note: It is always an acceptable time to make smoothies) and since we are still in spring and not quite into the height of summer yet, I thought it would be the perfect time to share an Easter throw back recipe featuring some more seasonal goodies (carrots) and a personal favourite food (cake) amalgamated together into a refreshing drink that tastes just like decadent desert (but in a cup). Yes it’s the carrot cake smoothie!


Extremely easy to make and ridiculously wonderful to glug, this smoothie will put a bunny-like spring into your step at any time of the day. It literally tastes like cake; sweet, rich and creamy but somehow refreshing at the same time. Plus, as carrot cake is my favourite species of cake, I have no shame in saying that I’ve been having this daily. Every day is the perfect day for cake flavour.
Not to go on about all of the benefits from the wholesome, healthy ingredients in this magical elixir but in particular those carrots are packed with a bunch of beta-carotene and will hence provide a big dose of Vitamin A to:
  • Enhance your eyesight (our mum’s weren’t lying to us)
  • Promote your immunity function
  • Improve your skin
  • Aid your digestion
  • And maintain your heart health

Ooooooh benefits!

Grab a blender, steal your rabbit’s carrots and prepare for cakey goodness (but still in a cup).


Ingredients:

1 cup unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
1/2 frozen diced (ripe) banana
1 cup of washed, diced (and maybe peeled) carrots (roughly 2 medium sized ones) Smooth operator tip: use frozen carrots for a cooler and thicker textured beverage.
3 chopped dates or 1-2 tsp sweetener of choice e.g. coconut sugar, stevia/truvia, honey, maple syrup or agave etc. I find the fruit enough for me but make sure you sweeten to taste.  
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ginger (a teeny bit)
1/8 tsp nutmeg (a tiny bit)
Optional (not really optional) toppings: some chopped walnuts and desiccated coconut
Smooth criminal tip: add in some ice cubes to thicken your drink up even more! You can also bulk out your smoothie with oats, nut butters, yoghurt or avocado for maximum creaminess.

Instructions:

This can be a bit tricky but put everything (except the toppings) into a high speed blender and blitz them till combined.
Smooth radio tip: allow the frozen banana (and frozen carrots if using) to thaw for 5-10 minutes before blending and also add your milk in first. It just makes life a little easier for your blender and we all want an easy life don’t we?
Serve in your favourite mug, cup, glass or jar and sprinkle on any toppings you desire.
Drink and be grateful for spring… and cake.

Talk again soon ;)

   
 Fact of the day: Mel Blanc, the voice behind Bugs Bunny reportedly didn’t actually like carrots.

That’s basically sacrilege. 

No comments:

Post a Comment